This is how to clean up a noisey dialogue take with Softube’s dynamic compressor, the Valley People Dyna-mite!
Softube make some of my favorite plugs. Valley People Dyna-mite is no exception. While the compressor can be used on drums and percussion, or to achieve creative gating via the expander and some external source triggers, I figured I might go a different route and use the gate to remove some mic hiss and pre-amp flutter.
Get Valley People Dyna-mite — PIB/Dyna-mite
It’s actually really easy to do. This particular dialogue example is just terrible, but after a little Dyna-mite, it’s usable.
Watch the Video Tutorial
A secret weapon to some—a hidden treasure to the rest. Squash drums, get a snappy bassline, enhance track dynamics, duck, gate, key or de-ess. The Valley People Dyna-mite is a Swiss army knife limiter/expander design with unique character that inspires to new sounds.
The Dyna-mites usefulness goes way beyond the snappy and aggressive compression it is mostly known and loved for. True enough, used as a compressor it can make you blink involuntarily at every drum hit you send through it. But it can also be used as a highly versatile expander or a full on gate. Even in this day and age of digital recording with all its editing possibilities, a nice expander is still a very useful tool, for example to control microphone bleed in a natural manner. And a good gate still saves tons of time from editing. The gate can of course also be keyed from an external sidechain, which gives a lot of interesting possibilities.
The Valley People Dyna-mite features a limit mode, an expander mode, a gate mode, a de-esser mode and on top of that, two sidechain modes that let you duck or follow a track. Any way you use it, the Dyna-mite has a very special vibe and flavor. Nowadays, the Dyna-mite has a reputation not only as a problem solver but also as a creative tool that can really influence your sound in a unique way.
- Limiting: Peak and average limiting, incl. negative ratio (-20:1) limiting and detector HF filtering (for De-Essing purposes)
- Expanding: Hard or soft with extreme gate settings and detector HF filtering
- Ducking or Keying modes with external side chain (where available)
- Threshold knob with auto make-up gain
- Release ranging from 0.05 to 5 sec/20 dB with Anticipatory Release Computation (ARC) to reduce pumping
- Output volume with accurately modeled output distortion and clip LED
- Innovative Range knob that controls maximum amount of expansion or limiting
- Built-in interactive guide that displays current settings and active mode
Version 2.0 of the Softube plug-ins have the following minimum requirements:
All Native Versions:
- Mac OS X 10.9 or newer
- Windows 64-bit, versions 8 or 10
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280×800
- 1 GB RAM or more, and at least 6 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space)
- Any VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (Pro Tools 10.3.7, 11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application
- Softube/Gobbler account
- Gobbler application to manage license activation and plug-in downloads
- Please make sure that you always use the latest iLok License Manager. It is not included in the Softube installer, but can be downloaded from www.ilok.com
- Broadband internet access for downloading installer and register licenses
- Windows XP and Vista are no longer officially supported
- All Softube plug-ins support both 32- and 64-bit hosts, although a 64-bit OS is required. Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo
AAX DSP version
- For AAX DSP you need to meet the requirements for the Native version. You also need to have an Avid HDX processing card
- Different plug-ins will have a different load on your HDX card, please see the AAX DSP Supported Instances per DSP card for more information