Learn how to add Parallel Processing Capabilities to iZotope’s Ozone 7 Suite Vintage Modules.
Get Ozone 7 Advanced – PIB/Ozone7
I recently got my hands on Ozone 7 Advanced. Which, among many things, has a few incredible “vintage” style modules.
Usually Ozone modules are meant to be used in a mastering setting so they don’t have dry/wet parameter settings. However, I like the Vintage Compressor and Tape Saturator so much I like to use them while mixing and making my tracks. That is a whole other situation which these plugs aren’t really designed for. Luckily, using racks and a little bit of ingenuity we can add a dry/wet know to them!!
Let me show you how.
Watch the Video Tutorial
*full release notes below
Ozone 7 Advanced (Ozone 7 Standard is also available)
Essential Mastering Tools Get an Upgrade
Glue a mix together, control dynamic range, and add rich character with the critically acclaimed music production tools in Ozone Advanced, including the new Vintage EQ, Vintage Compressor, and Vintage Tape modules. Audition masters before rendering with the new Codec Preview. Apply Ozone Advanced’s processing to mix busses, too, with individual plug-ins of all ten modules.
Plus, both versions of Ozone include the Maximizer, the Dynamic EQ, the new Vintage Limiter, Export Formats, and more. Use Ozone as a plug-in or as a standalone application.
- Get essential mastering and mixing tools: Maximizer, Dynamic EQ (now in both Standard and Advanced), the new Vintage Limiter, Vintage Tape [Advanced Only], Vintage Compressor [Advanced Only], and Vintage EQ [Advanced Only].
- Build a high-tech new mastering chain when you mix-and-match components, going from fully modern to fully vintage to anywhere in between.
- Quickly achieve authentic sounds for any genre and style with a comprehensive bank of presets.
- Master within your audio editing software with Ozone as a plug-in or in its own environment with the standalone option.
Powerful Processing for Mastering and Mixing
Dynamic masters with transparent processing
The highly regarded Ozone Maximizer helps you achieve professional loudness and fullness with transparent limiting. Updated for Ozone 7, the Maximizer features a brand new frequency-specific IRC IV algorithm to deliver transparent mixes with even less pumping and distortion. Smooth out an unwieldy mix or tame the kick drum peaks without affecting the vocals.
The Dynamic EQ, now in both the standard and Advanced versions of Ozone, lives and breathes with your audio for finer control over your sound. Take advantage of the precision of an equalizer and the musical ballistics of a compressor in one integrated processor. Learn more about using Dynamic EQ in mastering.
New Sounds, Nostalgic Results
A new set of vintage-inspired processing modules in Ozone puts nostalgic tone at your fingertips, bringing the creative color and character of analog hardware to digital recordings.
Glue a mix together and control dynamic range with the Vintage Limiter. Add the distinctive sonic characteristics of analog tape with Vintage Tape. Get subtle warming and sweetening effects with the single-band, program-dependent Vintage Compressor. Extend the range of colors available for your masters with the wider, more artful equalization palette of Vintage EQ.
Ozone isn’t Just for Mastering Anymore
Ozone was designed for mastering but there are lots of possibilities for how Ozone can help out in music production. With Ozone Advanced, you get all ten Ozone modules — including the new vintage processors — as separate component plug-ins. So go ahead and load those individual components on your mix busses and take advantage of Ozone’s flexible power during mixing.
Ozone 7 Features
Ozone’s highly regarded mastering limiter features a new IRC IV algorithm that uses spectral shaping technology, an innovative new way of processing audio. With IRC IV, you can achieve professional loudness and fullness without the limiter needing to work as hard. Get more transparent limiting than ever before with less pumping at higher volumes — ideal for times when you need to tame the kick drum peaks without causing vocals to pump, keep the subtle snap of a snare rimshot in a country single, or give a club track incredible impact. Prevent your master from clipping while dramatically lifting the perceived overall audio level, for more loudness without sacrificing crisp detail.
- Experience transparent limiting with multiple modes of the IRC™ (Intelligent Release Control) Limiter technology, including the new IRC IV.
- Preserve rhythmic detail while maximizing loudness with Transient Emphasis, which adds smart emphasis to transients.
- Unlink stereo channels to process left and right separately with the Stereo Unlink Control.
- Get visual feedback that informs your limiting with the Gain Reduction Trace meter’s scrolling waveform display.
- Plus: The “Tube” mode introduced in Ozone 6.1 has become the new Vintage Limiter module. And don’t worry, it’s backwards compatible!
Now in both the standard version of Ozone and Ozone Advanced, the Dynamic EQ module lives and breathes with your music. Get finer control over your sound with the precision of an equalizer and the musical ballistics of a compressor integrated into one processor. With an intuitive workflow and clearer visual feedback, Dynamic EQ is a valuable mastering tool that excels where traditional EQs and compressors fail.
- Choose from five filter shapes including Baxandall Treble, Baxandall Bass, Proportional Q, Band Shelf, and Peak Bell.
- Toggle between analog and digital modes for minimum or linear-phase processing across six independent bands.
- Access targeted dynamic equalization with Mid/Side and Left/Right processing modes.
- Intelligently adjust Attack/Release times automatically across the frequency spectrum with Auto-Scale mode.
- Dynamic nodes show the direction of your adjustments, to make it clear whether you’re expanding or cutting.
Vintage Limiter takes the “Tube” mode that we introduced to the Maximizer in Ozone 6.1 and expands it out to its own module and adds both a faster and slower setting. Vintage Limiter Glue a mix together and add character with the Vintage Limiter’s analog-sounding final-stage limiting. Retain the ease and precision of digital maximizing while bringing a natural feel to harsh and digital-sounding masters. Get the silkiness, body, and nostalgic vibe of classic recordings.
- Inspired by the Fairchild 670 hardware limiter, famous for its silky smooth compression.
- Fine-tune the Vintage Limiter’s response to perfectly fit your source material with the Character control.
- Get visual feedback to inform your limiting with the Gain Reduction Trace meter’s scrolling waveform display.
- Backwards-compatible with Ozone 6.1 presets that made use of the “Tube” mode in the Maximizer.
Vintage Tape [Advanced Only]
The Vintage Tape module brings the distinctive richness and feel of tape saturation to your modern digital recordings with all the frequency coloration, distortion, and phase effects of tape. Take advantage of analog tone for masters that sound more musical with added dimension, fatness, and depth.
- Get the deep, natural sound and punchy low-end response of analog tape with the convenience of a digital interface.
- Inspired by the innovative Studer A810 tape machine, known for excellent frequency response even at the critical high and low frequency range limits.
- Continuous Bias control allows for precise tuning of frequency and distortion response.
- Mix in even harmonics for warmer saturation, or leave them out for more accurate tape emulation.
Vintage Compressor [Advanced Only]
The Vintage Compressor module is a single-band feedback compressor for subtle warming and sweetening effects. Featuring program-dependent release times, the compressor tailors release shapes to adapt naturally to your music. Thicken the mid-range, tighten and round out the lows, let the top sparkle, and get authentic vintage character.
- Program-dependent release times keep the compressor’s processing transparent, for example: longer release times for vocals to reduce pumping and fast release times to keep drums sounding tight and natural.
- Editable high-pass, mid-peak, and high-shelf sidechain filters let you mimic the nonlinear frequency response of vintage hardware compressors, or create unique compression effects not available in traditional hardware.
- Automatic gain compensation provides automatic makeup gain, allowing you to easily compare your mix with and without dynamics processing applied.
Vintage EQ [Advanced Only]
With the richness, musicality, and color of Pultec equalizers, Vintage EQ lets you brighten your master, smooth out heavy low end, and add body to your digital recordings. With discrete frequency value selections, you can bring a musical focus to your EQ approach. Use the boost and cut controls separately – but at the same time! – for a low-shelf that boosts first, then cuts, and then levels out to smoothly avoid making your mix sound “boomy.”
- Add the richness, warmth, and color of analog equalization to your audio.
- Models the qualities and experience of Pultec hardware equalizers for a unique, musical way to manage equalization.
- Mid/Side and Left/Right processing modes give you unprecedented control over the stereo soundstage.
Ozone’s Preset Manager gives you professionally designed starting points for mastering your projects. Power users will appreciate the ability to create presets that utilize all of Ozone’s modules and routing capabilities for instant recall of useful configurations and a customized blend of analog and modern processing. Ozone 7 Advanced comes with additional presets that incorporate Advanced-only modules in the signal chain. Plus, the Greg Calbi Mastering Presets for Ozone now come as part of your product installation.
- Easily load and save settings for individual modules without affecting the settings of other modules.
- Streamline your decision-making process with outcome-oriented preset descriptions.
Easily fine-tune the dynamics of your mixes with independent control for up to four frequency bands, each with separate limiting, compressing, and expanding. The interactive Threshold control allows you to set threshold points for the Limiter and Compressor stages without taking your eyes off of the gain reduction meter, which provides extra feedback while making your detailed dynamics tweaks.
- Intelligently automate the difficult task of finding the right release times with Adaptive Release mode.
- Automatically set crossover frequencies based on incoming audio with Learn mode.
- Adjust the dynamics of the center of your mix independently of the sides of your mix with Mid/Side Processing mode.
- Find the perfect compressor settings with the Gain Reduction Trace view, which plots the gain reduction of all dynamics bands on top of a scrolling waveform, and get further visualization with the Dynamic Transfer Curve and spectrum analyzer.
- Add a variable slope high-pass or API Thrust-like Tilt filter for reducing pumping with the Detection Circuit Filter.
Codec Preview [Advanced Only]
Get a real-time listen to how your master will sound when rendered with industry standard codecs with Codec Preview. Preview the sound of your encoded master within your audio editing software or the Ozone standalone application. Instantly make any needed adjustments to perfect the audio for streaming or online music stores with this easy-to-use tool that improves your workflow.
- Preview what your audio will sound like in MP3 or AAC format.
- Solo only the audio data that lossy compression is removing from the mix to be sure that everything important isn’t getting lost in translation.
- Compensate for the sonic changes due to lossy codec compression without leaving your audio editing software.
Specify the file format for export from a variety of compressed and uncompressed popular formats like MP3, WAV, AIF, and AAC. Eliminate the need for a separate converter and export your digital formats directly from Ozone.
- Export your masters to a variety of formats, sample rates, and bit rates for wherever your music will be heard.
- Export rich metadata — including track name, band name, album, name, and more — when exporting to MP3 and AAC.
As a standalone application, Ozone also allows you to master multiple tracks in one session without leaving Ozone.
- Customize your sound even more by bringing other favorite plug-ins into your Ozone mastering chain with AU/VST plug-in hosting.
- Get smooth song transitions by adjusting the tops and tails of your audio with Trim and Fade controls.
- Instantly highlight changes and see similar sections of your audio with the Waveform Segmentation overlay, for quick listening comparisons, easy selection for looping, or for analyzing song structure.
- Get the highest quality conversion possible with iZotope’s SRC™ (sample rate conversion) on file import, and iZotope’s MBIT+™ Dither for single- and multiple-file export.
Equalizer and Post Equalizer
Ozone includes two equalizers that combine eight bands of adjustable filters with a variety of filter shapes to choose from. Use the first Equalizer for initial shaping of your master, then take advantage of Ozone’s Post Equalizer for even more shaping later on in your signal chain. The Analog-Matched EQ curves preserve analog behavior at high frequencies, giving Ozone authentic analog frequency response.
- Choose from a wealth of digital and analog filter shapes including Baxandall bass and treble, API-inspired Proportional Q, Band Shelf, and resonant High and Low Shelf.
- Get insightful feedback via multiple views: Full Spectrum view, Main view, and All Bands view.
- Capture the spectral characteristics of your favorite mix and apply them to your master with the refined Matching EQ controls.
- Adjust the equalization of the center of your mix independently of the sides of your mix with Mid/Side Processing mode.
- Get precise control for deep cuts with digital filters in Surgical Mode.
- Easily see how your EQ choices affect the signal with unique visualizations of phase delay, phase response, and group delay.
Precisely adjust stereo width for your master using the Imager module. The Imager works with up to four frequency bands — providing independent control over stereo width by frequency. An integrated Vectorscope and Correlation Meter give you valuable visual feedback for the mastering process, including Polar vectorscope modes and a Stereo Balance meter.
- Add depth and natural-sounding stereo width to mono or very narrow mixes — without sacrificing mono compatibility — with Stereoize Mode.
- Add width to any frequency band without causing mono compatibility problems with Antiphase Prevention.
- See the width of your mix by frequency, set crossovers, and see the effect of stereo imaging adjustments on different parts of the spectrum with Stereo Width Spectrum view.
- Easily audition your stereo signal for mono compatibility or left/right signal reversal.
Ozone’s Exciter lets you dial in the right amount of bite or warmth to excite dull recordings and bring sparkle and shine to a mix. Easily enhance dull recordings by adding tube grit, accentuating harmonics, and adding punch or sparkle with a variety of excitation modes. Multiband and Mid/Side modes give you a large range of sonic possibilities across both the frequency spectrum and the stereo field.
- Choose from the circuit-modeled Triode and Dual Triode modes or the updated Retro, Tape, Warm, or Tube modes.
- Apply targeted processing with simultaneous multiband and Mid/Side processing options.
- View excitation by frequency with the Saturation Spectrum display and sculpt the Exciter’s frequency output with a post filter.
- Add harmonics without drastic gain changes with natural-sounding Peak Saturation.
Ozone provides the finest bit reduction algorithms available, allowing you to effectively convert and dither to 24, 20, 16, 12, or 8 bits. Master your track from a 24-bit source for lower-bit output, such as 16-bit for CD. Ozone includes our proprietary MBIT+ dither algorithm that reduces quantization distortion with minimal perceived noise — smooth and quiet conversions for the best-sounding dither possible.
- Experience smoother and more consistent mixdowns with dither curves for 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz.
- Get dynamic and transparent conversions with integrated DC offset filtering, auto-blanking, and dither harmonic suppression.
- Enjoy a complete view of the conversion process with a unique set of bit scopes and DC level meters.
Intelligent Visual Metering [Advanced Only]
Insight, iZotope’s metering suite, is included as a separate component plug-in with Ozone 7 Advanced. Insight provides an extensive set of audio analysis and metering tools, perfect for visualizing changes made during mixing and mastering and troubleshooting problematic mixes. Visually monitor all relevant information from your mono, stereo, or surround mix in a convenient floating window.
- Immediately detect potential mix problems through real-time visual monitoring and color-coded alerts. Examine your audio with a unique 3D spectrogram and create a detailed topographical map of audio using high-resolution capabilities.
- Get an extensive suite of metering tools in a single plug-in, including True Peak Meters, Loudness Meters, Loudness History Graph, Stereo Vectorscope, Surround Scope, 2D/3D Spectrogram, and Spectrum Analyzer.
Throughout Ozone are forward-thinking tools which help to guide you through your mastering workflow.
- All ten Ozone modules are included as separate component plug-ins with Ozone Advanced. Load them on your instrument busses to add the power of Ozone before you get to mastering. [Advanced Only]
- Easily create your own signal path through a customizable signal chain, allowing you to combine both analog and modern processing.
- Be certain your master is better and not just louder! Audition with the Seamless Bypass mode engaged so you can gain-match bypassed audio to your Ozone processing.
- View gain-staging across your mastering chain with Module Gain Meters.
- Save time with a comprehensive Undo History, and quickly compare different settings with A/B tools.
- Get vital visual information at every step of the mastering process. Each module of Ozone offers relevant metering that informs mastering decisions.
Ozone 7 runs as a standalone application, or as a plug-in in your audio editing software. Ozone 7 Advanced includes ten additional component plug-ins for direct access to individual Ozone modules in your host.
Operating System Requirements
- Windows: 7, 8, and 10
- Mac: OS X 10.8–10.12 (Intel only)
Mac users, we currently recommend that you postpone your update to Mac OS x 10.11.
- Pro Tools 10-12 (RTAS, AudioSuite, 64-bit AAX), VST 2, VST 3, and Audio Unit.
Plug-In Host Compatibility
- Pro Tools 10-12, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live, Cubase, Digital Performer, SONAR, REAPER, and many more.
Graphics Card Requirements
- For use of the scrolling 3D Spectrogram in Insight, Ozone 7 Advanced requires a graphics card that supports Open GL 2.0.
Minimum Screen Resolution
- Plug-in: 1,159 x 614
- Standalone application: 1,166 x 827