In this tutorial I will show you how to hook up analog Potentiometers to an Arduino Uno to control Ableton Live Parameters via a USB and Max for Live!
Here’s a video showing the basics of how to make this work. For more details we’ve included the written instructions below.
No coding or soldering required!
What you will need to follow along:
- An Arduino Uno w/ the Software
- Ableton Live (Live 9 Standard or above)
- Max for Live w/ Connection Kit Pack [Free]
- 4 x Potentiometers (Any will do. I tested 5k, 10k, 100k, 500k)
- 1 x Slider Switch (Optional)
- Small Breadboard
- Assorted Breadboard Jumper Wires (~20)
**The switch is optional. Also, you only need one potentiometer if you are just looking to get started. Though, I will use four for this tutorial.
We won’t be doing any coding in this tutorial, thanks to Ableton’s free Max for Live Connection Kit Pack. So, go grab it, if you haven’t already, and install it.
Get the Full Written Tutorial/Instructions Here — Ask.Audio/ArduinoAbleton
*this is an excerpt of my article for Ask Audio Magazine, copied here with permission.